Frequently Asked Questions
Fare Capping Pilot Program FAQ’s
- What fare media can be used to participate in the Fare Capping pilot program?
UTA FAREPAY and UTA Reduced Fare FAREPAY cards.
- What UTA services ARE covered with Fare Capping Pilot Program?
Regular services: Local Bus, TRAX, Streetcar, UTA On Demand
Premium services: FrontRunner, and Express Bus
- What UTA services are NOT covered with Fare Capping Pilot Program?
Paratransit, Ski, Park City bus services.
- Does my FAREPAY card still work on services NOT covered with Fare Capping?
FAREPAY cards will still work on Ski and Park City services. The card will be charged the current fare rate for that service. Paratransit does not accept FAREPAY cards.
- What are the daily caps?
UTA FAREPAY card - $5 per day on regular service.
UTA Reduced Fare FAREPAY card - $2.50 per day on regular service.
- What are the weekly caps?
UTA FAREPAY card:
UTA Reduced Fare FAREPAY card:
- $20 per week on regular service
- $40 per week on premium service
- $10 per week on regular service
- $20 per week on premium service
- Is there a daily cap on premium services?
No, there is only a daily cap on regular services (local bus, TRAX, and Streetcar, UTA On Demand).
- What if I reach my cap on regular service and then take a trip on a premium service?
Once you have reached the regular service weekly cap, you will not pay any additional amounts for regular service. If you then ride a premium service, you will pay full price with transfer credits applied, until you reach the premium weekly cap amount, and then all remaining service will be free for the remainder of that week.
- What happens if the balance on my FAREPAY card is not sufficient to pay for a trip before I reach my daily or weekly cap?
In order to qualify for your daily or weekly cap you must have sufficient funds on your FAREPAY card to cover the trip fare.
- What time of the day are the daily and weekly caps calculated?
The daily cap is calculated on the service day 3am - 2:59am the following morning
The weekly cap is calculated on the service day 3am Sunday – 2:59am the following Sunday.