It’s National Rail Safety Week! Trains are a great way to get where you need to go, but please remember to follow safety rules when boarding, walking near tracks or driving over a railroad crossing.
Meet Sam our Safety Martian and Win a FAREPAY Card
Get your photo with Sam our Safety Martian from 3 to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 26. We’ll be on the platform at City Center Station. Take your photo with Sam and you’ll receive a FAREPAY card worth $10 (available while supplies last).
Rail Safety Tips:
- Wait until the red lights stop flashing before entering a rail crossing.
- Stay behind the platform’s yellow tactile strip while waiting for your train to arrive.
- Avoid distracted behavior on platforms or while crossing railroad tracks. Take your headphones out and put your phone away.
- Cross tracks only at designated areas and look both ways for oncoming trains before proceeding.
- Hold your child’s hand when boarding/exiting a train and waiting on the platform.
- Walk your scooter, bike or skateboard on the platform. If you’re using a rental scooter, please don’t leave it on the platform where it can block the path for others or become a tripping hazard.
Check out the Utah Transit Police Department’s safety tip of the week here. This is the first in a series of safety videos that we’ll share over the next month.
Other Rail Safety Week activities include:
Wednesday, Sept. 26
Move Utah Summit – Look for the rail safety booth at the Move Utah Summit, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Layton Safety Fair – Stop by the rail safety booth at the Layton Safety Fair, 5-8 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 27
Look for UTA and Operation Lifesaver employees handing out water bottles, UTA goodies and safety pamphlets at TRAX and FrontRunner stations throughout the day.